Saturday, January 14, 2012
Puppets
I have to admit, I love Elmo, I loved Lambchop. They are both adorable and make me smile. I admit that I have watched both of them while not in the presence of a child well into my adulthood. That's on 1 hand. On the other hand, "acting like a puppet" is a phrase we are all familliar with and it does not carry with it the same warm fuzzy feelings as the aforementioned Elmo and Lambchop. So, how can I love Elmo and Lambchop and yet get sick to my stomach when I recall the times in my life that I have acted like a puppet? I think the answer is quite simple and here it is. As adults, we can often bastardize those things that as children we held precious. The puppets of childhood are cute, friendly, teach us good lessons and how to grow up to be good adults and I think sometimes as adults we feel like children so we act like the thing that made us smile as children. The people who made the puppets talk always made them smile eventually or learn how to treat people right eventually so I think sometimes in our skewed adult thinking we revert back to think "if I act like they want me to or do what they want me to then everything will be ok" Here's the problem. Puppets are meant for children. Puppets are meant to be used for people to smile and have fun. Puppets aren't real. My point is that we should leave them in thier place. I am not saying to not enjoy them as adults but to remember that they are thier as an escape to reality which we all need from time to time and then we need to come back to deal with reality. That is the only way to find happiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WHy am I just now seeing this post. At first I was really impressed that you were able to blog after surgery!
ReplyDelete