Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I don't like these kinds of days...

 You know? The kinds of days that make you have to think "on your toes" and then you get to wonder and decide if you did the right thing.
 The first thing that happened was this. My daughter was given a netbook for Christmas and it needs to be hooked up to my internet. Easy enough, right? I called the cable company last week and the appointment was made for a tech to come out today. I TOLD my daughter this!! Anyway, the tech shows up and does what he has to to do to my computer and then he goes to finish up with hers except her computer is nowhere to be found. My roommate tears her room apart looking for it. It can not be found. Insert panic here. I start thinking about "what if  get doubled charged if he has to come back since it's not here?" I make the decision to call the school and ask my daughter where her computer is. I call and after being on hold FOREVER I am told she has to call me back and she does. She then tells me that she took said computer to school. Totally of her own valition of course because "she needed it". I tell her to leave it in the office because I need it. So, for the rest of the afternoon I stew over the mood she is going to be in when she gets home. I even decide to try to straighten up her room  a little. She is fine when she comes home. A few hours pass. She does some homework. We eat dinner. She does some more homework. Then she says she can't finish it because she can't access the site without her internet. My computer hasn't worked in the past. I remind her she would have had internet had she not taken her computer to school. Well, she gets all indignant and self righteous which upsets me. I tell her to go to bed. After she goes to bed I again start to panic about "what if she fails?" I try to find a way to open the files with my computer. At first it doesn't work but then it does. I get to the thing she needs. I wake her up and make her do her homework. Did I do the right thing? Should I have let her pay the consequences? Did I teach her anything by how I acted today? I look @ both situations and can see where I took initiative to "do" something but was it the right time to do something? I wonder

1 comment:

  1. Of course you did the right thing. She probably wasn't really thinking when she took her computer... she was just so excited to have it and show it off. So it's good she got her homework done, and soon she will be able to do it on her own computer. You'll just have to make sure with her in the morning, that she does not have her computer as she's walking out the door! :)

    ReplyDelete